Saturday, August 29, 2009

Legalism and Learning

If at all possible, stop reading this blog right now and go get the book Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. I suggest reading it as soon as possible. It is full of things no one has ever explained to me before about being more like Christ.

Likewise, I started the book The Naked Gospel by Andrew Farley today and it is also full (so far) of things no one has ever explained to me before. Also, I need to read Hebrews as soon as I get a chance.

Here is something I've been thinking about lately. Whose idea was it to read one or two passages a day of the Bible? Why do we not read the Bible like any other book? I've been realizing that my legalistic quotas of Bible-reading-time are not doing anything for me. I need to start reading the Bible like a real book. That's not to say that the Bible isn't a real book, but it's so much more than any other book that I should at least be able to treat it like all the other books I read! It just doesn't make sense.

2 comments:

Marie said...

So excited for my copy to get here!!! :)

Danielle said...

Hebrews = My favorite book of the Bible.

*high squealy voice complete with arm motions* LOVVVEEEE ITTT!!