Saturday, January 16, 2010

ISO

Okay, so here's what I learned about the ISO setting on a camera.

First of all, the ability to change the ISO on a digital camera is pretty much fake. I mean, digital cameras emulate the ISO of film cameras. ISO is basically film speed, and usually is 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, or 3200. A lower number means smoother pictures with less light let in, a higher number means pictures with more grain with more light let in.

Film is light sensitive on one side because of chemicals and microscopic silver particles. The ISO is the size of the silver particles. I thought that was really cool when my profesor told my class that. The lower number the ISO, the smaller the particles of silver, the smoother the picture, the less light the film takes in. The higher the number the ISO, the larger the particles of silver, the more grain the picture has, the more light the film takes in.

Interesting, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes :)