Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Science and Baking

This is possibly the most random topic I will ever blog about, but I just wanted to point something out.

Baking is possibly the least precise practice on the planet.

I laughed at myself just rereading that sentence now, but I think about it every time I make food from a recipe. I find it hard to reconcile the baker in me with the ex-science-olympian. How can I put any trust into a measuring system that insists that every recipe on the planet uses the same intervals of flour that are so different from one cup to the next? If measurements mattered in the baking world, then you would have things like "recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of flour at [this amount] of density" instead of "recipe calls for 2 cups of flour."

Anyway, there you have it. Also, this is why I laugh at people who measure anything larger than a tablespoon by scraping the extra off the top.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Marie said...

I actually have a very different opinion on the matter. As far as food goes, baking is the most precise of all, I feel. Baking, unlike cooking, is very dependent on you getting accurate measurements the first time. You can't taste a baked good and say to yourself "hmm, I think this needs a little more [fill in the blank]."

I won't argue the point about the measuring system, though. There is some logic in that. :)

Also, I am one of those who scrape the extra off of the top of my measuring utensil, but I suppose thats because I feel like exact measurements are rather important. Don't judge me. ;)

Also, this comment was considerably longer than it needed to be. My sincere apologies.

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
III said...

I don't believe in measurements in relation to making food. But then again, I probably don't "bake"