Saturday, December 12, 2009

Heaven & Scrooge

You wrote a letter and you signed your name
I read every word of it page by page
You said you be coming, coming for me soon.
Oh, my God, I'll be ready for you.

Because I want to run on greener pastures
I want to dance on higher hills.
I want to drink from sweeter water
in the misty morning chill.
And my soul is getting restless
for the place where I belong.

I can't wait to join the angels and sing my heaven song.

I hear your voice and I catch my breath,
"Well done, my child, enter in and rest."
Tears of joy roll down my cheek
It's beautiful beyond my wildest dreams


I'm walking through the bright white gates
Breathing in and out your grace
All around me melodies rise
That echo with the joy inside
So I start to sing

But I can't sing loud enough,
I can't bow low enough,
I can't lift my hands high enough,
when I'm worshiping you my God.


Also, on a non-Phil-Wickham-song related note, I saw the new 'A Christmas Carol' movie today. It was really good. I was struck by the whole theme of it this time more than I usually am when I see a version of this story. The whole part about how Scrooge asks the guy collecting money for the poor on Christmas Eve, "Are there no prisons...And the Union Workhouses?...Are they still in operation...The Treadmill and the poor Law are in full vigour, then?" In the story it's obviously satirical, but how often do we hear things like this in the news? I know I've thought along those lines at times. And the part where Scrooge sees that under the robe of The Ghost of Christmas Present are the two emaciated children called 'Ignorance' and 'Want.' The whole thing just made me consider a how careless I am. How selfish I am. How can anyone, especially Christians, be this way?

And on that note, I shall leave you with an article by my favorite musician: Compassion vs. Consumption by Jon Foreman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Zach said...

Who is this?